drawings from popular and reality television by Jenny Robins. Suggestions welcome - use hashtag

Monday, February 9, 2015

Katy Brand on Pop's Greatest Dance Crazes

So I was just watching an old talking heads dance program on iPlayer which was recommended to me after I ran out of new episodes of The Voice to watch (sad times) while I drew this castle or something for this women who is paying me. 

And I really wanted to draw this quote from Katy Brand, perhaps I should have drawn her in full on Beyonce gear, because they played the clip from when she did the Single Ladies dance for Sports Relief, do you remember that? I'm not sure why I do but I do. 

I love this quote because it reminds us of how truly democratic artistic expression is, that ANYONE can do amazing things. All they need is time and impetus and, presumably in this case, first rate tuition. Dance is almost up there with poetry as the most accessible of artforms, some people are naturally talented at moving their hips or turning a phrase, or were lucky to grow up in an environment that encouraged them to shake their booty from a tender age, or read the Nation's Favuorite Poems. But even people that are really not talented or lucky can still do these things. 

I mean, Katy Brand was really good at the Beyonce dance. So maybe she is talented and lucky. But her charmingly British self effacing talking head bit suggests not. So there's still hope for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment